Simple and Tasty Beef Pie
Nothing beats a classic homemade steak pie, complete with golden-brown flaky (or short) pastry and a rich filling.
900g/2lb braising steak, cut into cubes
plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper, for dusting
1 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
1 tbsp chopped fresh thyme
salt and freshly ground black pepper
570ml/1 pint hot beef stock
225g/8oz ready-rolled shortcrust pastry or puff
1 free-range egg, beaten
1. Dust the cubed steak with the seasoned flour
2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pan and fry the meat, stirring frequently, until browned
on all sides.
3. Add the sliced onions, herbs, salt and freshly ground black pepper and the stock and bring to
4. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for an hour and a half.
5. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas 5.
6. Transfer the filling mixture to an ovenproof dish. Line the rim of the dish with a thin strip of
pastry. Dampen the pastry rim by brushing with beaten egg. Cut a piece of pastry to fit across the
top of the dish and place on top of the dish, pressing the edges together to seal. Decorate with
pastry trimmings, make a steam hole in the centre of the pie by slashing with a sharp knife, then
brush with more beaten egg.
7. Transfer to the oven and cook for 1-11⁄2 hours. If the pastry gets too brown, cover it with foil.